Saturday, July 9, 2011

Glowing Orbs of Fire... Spinning burning steel wool.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - if you are looking for a tutorial on how to do this, please Google "spinning burning steel wool".  Please read all that you can and follow all of the safety rules and precautions. 


     Last night Todd and I went out for an experimental foray, to spin burning steel wool and capture it on 'film'.  The plan was to go to one of our lake locations and spin over the water.  This would accomplish several points; to catch the reflections from the sparks in the water and to have a safety zone for the sparks to fall.  Water would be good for that.  Well, plans are made to be spoiled.  We last minute changed lake locations due to timing with sunset.  Unfortunately, the area we wound up in was a little too populated, and we had gotten 'Rick rolled' by the park rangers.  Not too defeated, as we got some cool sunset shots.

     With no real previous thought as to a plan B, other than a left handed comment from the initial planning stages 2 weeks ago, we decided to go to out favorite abandoned grain mill silo complex.  This turned out the be a stellar idea as the process of the spinning sparks blended well with the grungy abandoned sites we visited.

     So without further ado, here is my first attempt at spinning burning steel wool.  Please feel free to comment below about this set if you wish.  I always enjoy peoples reactions to my work.






This shot was the second attempt.  I liked the way the sparks flew off of the orb.































With this attempt, I purposely spun a little harder.  I almost hit Todd's camera.























This one we played around a little with alternate lighting.  The red gelled lights in the fan coverings in image right and a blue and purple gelled light in the huge fan shroud in image left.




















The next set is a different location, about a quarter mile from the images above.  I love the concrete pilasters.

Something a little different.  I walked the spinning rig.  This kinda reminds me of a theatrical stage.

I really had a blast with this.  I hope you enjoyed looking at these as much as I enjoyed shooting them.  And please, share your thoughts in the comment section below.  Thank you and now off to bed!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool man. I don't know if it's because I'm currently reading a Dan Brown novel or what. But it looks like some kind of futuristic portal of some kind:) Great job.

    ReplyDelete